Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chasecation 2011 Part II (My Week In North Richland Hills)

(Continued from Part I)

Okay I made this a two part blog for a reason, I wanted to concentrate on the May 24th outbreak and combining it with the non chase days would have thrown anyone who reads this off subject for a bit.

My arrival at the Ft. Worth bus terminal wasn't without any drama (Greyhound lost my boss' gym bag which had my clothes, toiletries, and 5 packs of cigarettes in it; it wasn't until that Saturday before I was able to retrieve it), the drama aside I was greeted by Bridget who gave me a big hug and after explaining to one of the workers at the terminal about my gym bag we left the building were I met Shane and we were on our way to their apartment (Bridge had shot me a text the night before explaining to me that we would be in chase mode by the time I arrived, so that left no time whatsoever to wait around for the bus that had my gym bag). At the apart I met Bridge's brother Tim (her brother is an awesome guy he shared some of his experiences and plays a killer guitar, all and all a pretty laid back guy) who was staying with them after moving down from Massachusetts. Now since part II is covering my week down outside of our chases I'm gonna fast forward to Wednesday and beyond.

The hospitality Brother Shane and Sister Bridge shared with me in itself was one of the key highlights from my trip, before my trip I rarely ate more than two meals a day the whole week down we pigged out on sub sandwiches, hot dogs, tacos, pizza, and of course the celebratory steak dinner (after our tornado grabs on the 24th) for lunch and dinner (my idea of comfort food folks). Shane did have to work during the day and Bridge was doing her school work as well so it wasn't until Shane got home that the party got going. Most of my money while down there went toward gas for our chases and beer and soda plus some snack food like chips and candy (not to mention souvenir shot glasses for my boss).

There were also some fun times after having a few beers; that Wednesday night after our steak dinner we all had a craving for chocolate (Shane wanted Kit Kats I wanted Reeses Cups) so Bridge, Tim and I went to Wal-Greens which was up the road from their apartment for a candy run. No sooner did we cross the street (Wal-Greens was on the other side of the street) a NRH cop pulled up with his lights blaring, the first thought that went through our heads was what the fuck did we do (now keep in mind I drunk a lot of beer that night and had a pretty good buzz going, it was one of those "I swear to drunk occifer I'm not god" type moments were I'd be spending the night in the local jail had I done anything that would have warranted the need of a field sobriety test). The cop got out the squad car and asked us a few questions then proceeded to check our IDs (Bridget left hers at the apartment), after everything checked out the cop asked us what we were doing out so late at night in which Bridge told the cop that we were a bunch of storm chasers out on a chocolate run. The cop then proceeded into telling us about how he appreciates the work of chasers and how they help out communities during critical times of severe weather (win for the chaser community) and he let us on our way telling us be careful and good luck in the future in which we grabbed our candy at the store and hauled ass back to the apartment.

Of all the days down there the toughest one for me was last Sunday my last day. All good things had to come to an end, Shane and Bridge are more than friends they're family to me hence the Brother Shane and Sister Bridget. The last two hours at their apartment even though they didn't notice was rough on me (they invited me into their lives and I have since gained a brother and a sister long before I even went down to chase with them and I'll be brutally honest I even felt a tear rolling down my right eye). When it came time for me to leave we said our goodbyes, hugged each other and then proceeded to return to our normal lives (as normal as can be for a chaser who's season has come to a close). It won't be the last time I'll see them though we'll meet up during chases and I'm gonna try my hardest to make it up to Denver for Chasercon next year, but for all it's worth Bro and Sis if you read this blog I want to thank you for a DAMN HELL ASS AWESOME week and hope for an opportunity to do it again. You guys are an awesome bunch and I was and still am honored to help salvage your chase season.....love you guys!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm So glad you had such a great time! Sounds like they were super sweet and inviting! Glad you all stayed safe and had fun!

    ReplyDelete