Friday, May 23, 2014

Messing With Sasquatch: Tornado Alley Closed For Business

It's been over 5 months since I've done a blog....well nothing has gone on for me to write up a blog. I could always rant about the never ending chaser drama but if you heard it before you're not missing much it's same horseshit drama (pissing contests between chasers, photo thieves, one brand versus another, blah blah blah Rico Suave).

After what was an awesome 2013 chase season for me where I got to see my dream tornado with the Rozel, KS event I was ready for what I expected to be a dream chase season. I finally got a car and my drivers license, I decided to give live streaming another try switching from ChaserTV to TVNweather, and put back money for a two week vacation. Well mother nature and life in general had other plans.

The water pump on my car went out in March; I had to spend close to $400 on my car in total just to get it running again. More repairs need to be done in order for me to comfortably drive it out to the Plains so I was forced into having to buy a plane ticket for my trip. That ruined my plans for a two week vacation because I couldn't afford it. Then I had to scramble to find new chase partners for my trip because the chasers I previously chased with were unable to host me during my week and a half long trip.

As bad as those misfortunes were the absolute worst was the fact that this year sucks as far as tornadic activity goes. This year is rivaling 1994 as one of the quietest storm seasons on the Southern and Central Plains. You can literally count the number of tornadoes in the state of Oklahoma with one hand. As I'm writing this blog I should be on my way to Oklahoma City for the start of my 10 day vacation, but nothing good is in the forecast that is worth me taking the time off. This makes the second time in two weeks I had to postpone my trip and needless to say I am pissed off about it.

I'm not privileged like the other chasers who can chase any setup they want to. I have to work for a living, and since I'm a single man I have to fend for myself which financially doesn't give me a lot of leeway to chase every major outbreak that goes on especially with me living 12 hours away from Tornado Alley. I have to plan my trip far in advance storms or no storms....so having to postpone my trip twice due to the lack of decent tornado producing storms is frustrating and I'm going to fucking rant about it.

This year should make all the chasers who moaned and bitched about the last two chase seasons yet still saw tornadoes appreciate 2012, 2013, and 2014 (if they were lucky enough to score) more than they ever will publicly. It's almost the end of May and I have still yet to see a tornado this year. Nothing I can do about it other than to "quit my whining" and see if the month of June finally breaks through for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment